Ashara Mubashara (The Blessed Companions)
The Islamic prophet, Muhammad (s.a.w.), specified ten of his companions who were promised paradise. The companions named in this hadith are referred to as "The Ten With Glad Tidings of Paradise". The hadith is collected in two of the six books of the Kutub al-Sittah: the Jamiʿ at-Tirmidhi and the Sunan Abu Dawood.
The version of the hadith collected in the Jamiʿ at-Tirmidhi goes as follows:
“Abu Bakr will be in Paradise, ‘Omar will be in Paradise, ‘Usmaan will be in Paradise, ‘Ali will be in Paradise, Talhah will be in Paradise, al-Zubayr will be in Paradise, ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Awf will be in Paradise, Sa’d will be in Paradise, Sa’eed will be in Paradise, and Abu ‘Ubaydah ibn al-Jarraah will be in Paradise.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi)
- Hazrat Abu Bakr ibn Abu Quhafa
- Hazrat Omar ibn Khattab
- Hazrat Uthman ibn Affan
- Hazrat Ali ibn Abu Talib
- Hazrat Talha ibn Ubaydillah
- Hazrat Zubayr ibn al-Awwaam
- Hazrat AbdurRahman ibn 'Awf
- Hazrat Sa'd ibn Abi Waqqas
- Hazrat Sa'id ibn Zayd
- Hazrat Abu 'Ubayda, 'Aamir ibn 'Abdillah ibn al-Jarrah
Our Holy Prophet (PBUH) himself presented these ten individuals with glad tidings of Jannah, during his lifetime. He is known to have stated these ten names in a hadith pertaining to those companions for whom Paradise has been pre-ordained by Allah (SWT) on account of their services to Islam.
Some common traits of the Ashara Mubashara:
- All became Muslim in the early years of Islam.
- They made great service to the Prophet and the Islamic cause.
- They migrated.
- They swore allegiance to the Prophet at Hudaybiya.
- There are many narrations in hadith sources regarding their virtues.
- Sources of sound hadiths with narrations on these Companions.